Thank you for helping our team reach out Ride to Defeat ALS fundraising goal!
I have been involved with ALS in a variety of ways since 1984. I was a founding member of the ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter more than 20 years ago and served on the ALS Association national Board of Trustees for the past 9 years, including stints as chair of the Care Services Committee and the Certified Centers of Excellence Clinic evaluation subcommittee. In my retirement, I continue to be involved in the local chapters work in a variety of ways, including this fund raising effort.
This is an exciting opportunity for us to work together to support those affected by ALS and to spread awareness of the urgency to find treatments and a cure.
Please consider joining us as we hit the pavement around Mt. Angel, Oregon on July 22nd, and/or donationg to a team member listed to the right.
With your help we will be able to make a difference in the lives of people affected by this disease and their families.
Why We Need Your Help
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease that slowly robs a person of their ability to walk, speak, swallow and eventually breathe. The life expectancy of a person with ALS averages only 2 to 5 years from the time of diagnosis. In a very short period of time, the person and their family need a myriad of services and support. Every 90 minutes a person in this country is diagnosed with ALS and every 90 minutes another person will lose their battle against this disease. ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic boundaries. This crippling disease can strike anyone.
Everything The ALS Association does advances the search for effective treatments and a cure. The ALS Association leads the way in global research, provides critical assistance for people with living ALS, coordinates multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fosters government partnerships. All of these efforts must happen in an effort to defeat ALS!
Throughout the State of Oregon and the six counties of SW Washington, The ALS Association’s local chapter exists to provide critical programs and care services, free of charge, such as, but not limited to:
- Care Services Coordinators who offer individual support and home visits to assess needs, suggest equipment, connect with local resources and help families plan.
- ALS Association Certified Centers of Excellence and Clinic partnerships with Providence Brain & Spine Institute, Portland VA Health System, OHSU, Kaiser Permanente, St. Charles Health System, The Center and Asante Health System.
- Medical Equipment Program to loan equipment to aid in daily living activities and with mobility.
- Chapter Grant Program that funds a myriad of reimbursable, ALS-related expenses such as respite care, counseling, co-pays for healthcare costs, home modifications, and more.
- Monthly Support Group Program for people living with ALS, family members, and friends.
- Support and resources for children, in partnership with The Dougy Center, who have ALS in their families.
Help create change in the ALS community. Support our efforts by donating to a team member or joining our team today!